Thursday, April 8, 2010

Me, She and Piparwar………

It was 3rd December, 2007…yes, it was that very day.

The nights at my hostel were not boreal, I did not packed sweaters. Just camouflaged myself in my lone jacket, I left for Piparwar.

Piparwar is a mining area in central Jharkhand where no more that one train goes. To gather groceries for my Final year project, I found this as the easiest way.

When the hell will I learn to utilize tongue and GOOGLE?

My ordeal was to began at 11 PM. I boarded for Gomoh, a jungle, a hub for trains routed through Dhanbad area, just some 20 Km from Dhanbad.

Train to Piparwar was at 5:40 in the morning if on time, I had a bag, more than 6 hours and 7 companion dogs at the platform…. Platform!! Was there any??

It was cold…it really was, I usually tend to parade in my weather unaltered image. But that night, it really was snowy.

I passed that night and as usual did not corralled cold. The train came, and I was through for a new ordeal, I’ve never been in to.

The morning was extremely chilled, the wind was icy. I was out in a green forest lacking chimneys and cars to stabilize the temperature. My body shivered and so did my soul.

Soul!!!

It started getting warmer and I was getting my acumen back by 10 AM. I took out the route map I designed and tried to locate myself. I was around midway.


Why do people talk? And even if they do, why at public places? Ok, even that granted, why consider it a closed bedroom?

A gentleman sitting nearby said “These naxals are filth, rouge and must be beaten out to dust. Don’t you agree? ”

Why the hell shall I?

“May be, I’m not the right person to answer this. They are also human and I cannot comment being rational as such.”

The young girl sitting besides me smiled, “You are smart and sensible, there may be scores of them in this train”


Smart!!! Damn, damn fool I was to go to such a place without knowing anything…literally anything.

At 4 in the evening, it was getting dusky… I reached Piparwar.

No roads, no vehicle, almost no people to ask anything. Luckily I know languages we must know and I can communicate at other’s comfort level, I got the address of guest house I was to stay in. That was the only government place to stay.

No hotels, no lodges….nothing. Perfect 70’s movies………Daakbangla.

But for permission to stay I had to get my residence application approved by the GM, mines. Ehh, I was not having his number. Poor me, electronically handicapped. Can I get any reservation for this?

That 13 Kms was a real crick…Walking over the mine road with a bag over my back was stalwart, but the punch line, I had to walk. It had been some 4 Kms and 30 minutes, the sky was Cimmerian when I saw a man. 30 minutes walk and no man, is it India? Is it?

As he came nearer, I thought asking how much distance I still have to cover. Why people like me think that asking every time will decrease the distance.

But then I am what I am.

To add to my dismal state, he told, “Why the heck on earth are you here? Who send you here? What are you doing here at twilight? Will you be able to see the next aurora?”

My answer to these entire W was a W again, how fool I am. “Why?”

“Why? Are you new to this place? You will be chopped and your head will be sent to the office in a couple of days”

But the best thing of a black out is that you have no alternatives to ponder and worry. I had to move, I any how had to.

30 more minutes, night was at the brink when I saw it. It? Yes it was a leopard which crossed me in a blink. Had it been a little more, I was evaporated.

In a very short period, I had seen death in so many forms but till it touches you it is fascinating. And rethinking about it is more spell bound.

I somehow lived and reached the manager’s house at 8 PM. He was not at home but at least his wife arranged me a room but then I had to walk again to the guest house in that black brawny night.

But the lady allowed me to stay at her house that night. Was not she mum alike?

Was not my mom invisibly toured with me sharing the burden and pumping my blood in that shivering cold?

Were not her blessings blocking the yellow death’s nostrils?

Did not she save me from an unknown naxal place?

Was not it her that I was back and writing this piece?


I may succeed, I may achieve anything and everything but its’ none of my brilliance. It’s her divine power which effectuate everything…….yes everything.

Be it Piparwar, be it Pampas, I know, you are with me………….Let me say, Thank you mom. Its’ only you who could make all this possible.

5 comments:

  1. Mummys day special eh? Good one.... And finally a senti flowing in to prove its an Avinash's piece..... God job! Keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe, May be senti but its my reality... many thanx that u came in

    ReplyDelete
  3. This awesome journey was never told to me???

    ReplyDelete
  4. Didn't I? Any how, you got it now. :)

    ReplyDelete

Write if you feel, and feel when you write...your words matter, the true ones...